THE BRIEFCASE

The rain was hammering against the window of the midnight train when I noticed the man sitting across from me.
He hadn't moved in forty minutes. He just stared at a pristine leather briefcase resting on his knees, his knuckles white from gripping the handle. I was trying to focus on my laptop, but the sheer tension radiating off him was impossible to ignore.
When the train screeched around a sharp bend, his grip slipped, and the briefcase tumbled onto the dusty floor between us. It popped open.
Out rolled dozens of small, hand-painted wooden figurines. Each one was meticulously detailed, painted to look like an ordinary person in a modern city: a woman in a red coat, a teenager with a skateboard, an old man holding a cane.
"I'm so sorry," he muttered, scrambling to gather them. His hands were trembling violently.
"It's fine," I said, crouching down to help. I reached for a tiny figure resting near my shoe.
I froze.
It was a man sitting on a train, holding a small silver laptop. The figure was wearing my exact outfit like dark green jacket, grey jeans, and scuffed boots. Painted on its miniature lap was a tiny rectangular piece of silver wood.
"Where did you get these?" I asked.
The man stopped picking up the pieces and looked at me with wide, terrified eyes.
"I don't make them," he whispered. "I find them. Every morning, a new one appears in my coat pocket. And every time I find one, within twenty-four hours, I see that person in real life."
"So... you found me this morning?"
"No," he said, swallowing hard. "I found you three weeks ago. I bought a ticket on this train specifically to find you."
He reached into his jacket pocket and pulled out another figure, placing it on the table between us. It was a figure of him. Except this figure didn't have a briefcase. It had a pair of heavy brass keychains, and it was wearing a dark blue uniform—the exact uniform of the train's conductor.
"I'm not a passenger," he said, pointing a shaking finger toward the floor. "I was the conductor on this route five years ago. I died when the train derailed at Blackwood Ridge because the manual handbrake jammed. I couldn't stop it."
A cold shudder ran down my spine. I looked at the figurines scattered around our feet. "Then... what is this?"
"This isn't a real train," he said softly. "It’s a ghost train. Every person sitting in these cars is a soul that hasn't realized they passed away in that crash five years ago. We've been riding this loop in the dark ever since."
He held up my figurine. "I was given this briefcase to collect everyone. Once you recognize your own piece, the loop breaks."
As he spoke, the roar of the tracks began to fade into a peaceful silence. The train slowed, gently gliding to a halt at a brightly lit, pristine platform I had never seen before. The doors slid open with a soft hiss, revealing a warm, calm night outside.
The conductor packed the last figurine into his case, snapped it shut, and stood up. He gave me a gentle, reassuring nod.
"End of the line," he said, stepping out onto the platform.
I picked up my laptop, walked through the open doors, and stepped into the light. For the first time in five years, I was finally home.
Comments
Post a Comment